No, my Christmas present was not a one-way trip off the face of the planet, but it has been brought to my attention that it may have appeared that way to anyone who only keeps up with me through this blog. Oops.
The truth of the matter is that I got pretty wrapped up in living this past month and a half and got a bit overwhelmed with things to write about so… well, I didn’t. I just decided to go with the flow and see how things panned out (and any of those other cliché phrases for “take no active participation in the present because… *flap hands in helpless worry*”).
Turns out two things have happened in that time: (1) Things haven’t slowed down, and (2) I’ve filled my creative outlet time with facebook and trashy celebrity gossip.
So I think perhaps it’s time to pick back up the cyber-chronicling---“e-emoting,” if you will---and stop telling myself that I’ll get to it when I have time. Because it seems that I’ve simultaneously got no time at all and all of the time in the world.
Here’s the quick n’ dirty version of what’s been going on in the lives of Mrs. & Mr. Dr. D over the past month or so. I may end up fleshing some of these things out in the (hopefully near) future:
- We had a wonderful holiday visit in California, and I said my goodbyes---or I guess more like "see you laters"---to my childhood home. Mom & Dad are currently in the process of moving to Texas, which is proving to be quite the adventure, and not necessarily in the more positive sense of the word. Yee-haw?
- Dr. D is kicking all sorts of butt (in the most healing, professional way possible) in his rotations, and is currently half way through his 12 week internal medicine rotation. He sees his own patients and works full days... can't we just call him a real doctor now?
- I'm taking 3 evening classes this semester on top of working full time, amassing upwards of 400 pages of reading each week. I'd be incredibly indignant if I were having to pay for such torture, but the classes are a free benefit of my job, sooo.... sucking it up now.
- We've taken to re-writing the words of popular rap and pop songs, as I'm sure many pet owners do, to somehow incorporate J-dog so that we can sing and dance with him around the house. It originally started with us singing "J-dog da poodle!" to the tune that Jason Derulo sings his own name (IN EVERY SONG! WHYYY?!), but has morphed into intricate reworkings of complex lyric genius. I'm talking moments of brilliance where we switch words like "dougie" to "doggy" and "slizzard" to "blizzard." I mean, wow.
- We survived snOMG/Snowmaggedon/Snowpocalypse. I can tell we've finally been acclimated to the experience of winter, because we were like "What? Only 7 inches? Where's the 20 they promised?" Apparently Chicago got it all... no fairsies.
- Dr. D and I braved the Cheesehead Chatter (another Dad-coined term) on a connecting flight out of Milwaukee this past weekend (Yes, we get it. Green Bay is in the Superbowl, dontcha know!) and flew to Las Vegas to surprise Dr. D's mom, Lil Momma, for her birthday. We got to wear disguises and everything! (and consequently almost got kicked out of the casino by the staff because our disguises were so obviously fake... heh)
I'm totes focusing
on this reading about hist---
Yuck. My dog just burped.