Thursday, June 9, 2011

Bye-bye Bananas, Hello Muffins.

As a teen, my Dad insisted that I eat a banana every morning with my breakfast.  I completely resented it at the time, although I'm sure the potassium kept me from being a walking bruise during my rigorous year-round basketball playing days.

Needless to say, once I was in charge of my own breakfast planning, I avoided bananas completely.

It took me a long time to be able to eat anything banana-related after that, but I've finally come around and have discovered that in moderation, they're actually pretty great.  By far the best part about them is when they get too ripe, and I'm absolutely forced to turn them into something sweet and delicious.

Have a recipe!

Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white -or- brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg -or- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt -or- milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (approx. 2 bananas)
3/4 cup chocolate chips


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  In another bowl, combine the egg/applesauce, oil, yogurt/milk, and vanilla.  Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened.  Fold in bananas and chocolate chips.  Fill greased or paper-lined cups two-thirds full.  Bake for 22 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.  Serves approximately 18 muffins.

4 comments:

katecreate said...

Thank you for sharing the recipe. I will have to try it sometime!

AgnesandAmy said...

Those look and sound SO good! Your banana story reminded me of pancakes in my family. I'm the only one of my sisters (I have three of 'em) that can stand pancakes at all because my dad made pancakes ALL THE TIME when we were growing up. Not real healthy like bananas, but the whole "I'm so tired of this!" thing? Yeah. lol.


I'm having a giveaway on my blog--you're welcome to join!

genevieve said...

Major emphasis on the yum; I need to make these! That story about your dad making you eat bananas is too funny.

Mrs MacKenzie said...

Just stumbled across your blog. Damn all your delicious looking recipes. I'm supposed to be doing a lifestyle change here!

Following you now :)

Post a Comment

Feel free to join the conversation! If you'd like an answer to a more personal inquiry, you're welcome to email me at iloveDrD@gmail.com.